Acne is a skin condition that occurs when the oil-secreting glands in the skin get clogged and become inflamed, tender or sometimes infected. It is most common in adolescents and young adults. In the teenage years, the hormones stimulate the growth of body hair, and the oil glands begin to secrete more oil. As a result, the skin pores get blocked and bacteria start growing in those blocked pores. When the body works to kill the bacteria, whiteheads, blackheads, and pustules form in these areas.
Acne is most common on the face, but it can also occur on the neck, chest, back, shoulders, and upper arms. The most common symptoms of acne faced are:
• Whiteheads – closed plugged oil glands
• Blackheads -open plugged oil glands (the oil turns black when it’s exposed to the air)
• Pustules- red, inflamed, infected plugged oil glands, sometimes filled with pus.
Sometimes the pimples might be painful and in severe cases, cysts (large fluid-filled bumps) may develop under the skin.
Causes of Acne
The exact cause of acne is unknown, but experts believe it results from several related factors. Contrary to popular belief, acne isn’t caused by a harmful diet, poor hygiene, or an uncontrolled sex drive. The simple truth is that heredity and hormones are behind most forms of acne.
- Hormonal changes puberty causes an increase in male sex hormones called androgens in both boys and girls. Even hormonal changes during pregnancy or start or stop of birth control pills can also cause acne.
- Hereditary: Many people with a family history or genes of this skin condition have the tendency to develop acne.
- Drugs: Steroids, certain drugs like androgens and lithium, are known to cause acne.
- Stressful lifestyle with too little rest sometimes results in breaking out or worsening of acne.
It is important to remember that oil from skin products, hard scrubbing of skin, environmental irritants like pollution and humidity can worsen acne for most people. Long-standing acne can lead to certain psychological symptoms such as low self-esteem, depression, social withdrawal, apart from scars.
Acne Treatment/ Acne Cure
Homeopathy believes that Acne is body defence to fight bacteria. The goal of homeopathy treatment is to stimulate the body’s own natural healing system to get rid of acne safely. Thus, each individual case is studied based on the patient’s unique pattern of symptoms. Nevertheless, seeking the advice of a professional homeopath is most appropriate to dealing with this problem.
If you are suffering from the symptoms of acne as described above, please consult with Singapore-based homeopathy consultant, Tejinder Kaur. Contact Shiva Homeopathy to understand potential treatment for your acne problem.